Our 4th Annual Squirrel Soap Box Derby is just one of many venues. This gravity race is the only legal opportunity in Brevard where you can try to break the speed limit down Jailhouse Hill! All vehicles were hand built and decorated to please the crowd, as well as designed for speed. Contestants competed for trophies for the fastest critter, the squirreliest theme, and the nuttiest design. In addition, businesses fought to win the overall Golden Nut Trophy, which combined speed and design. Team LAGATI won this year’s Golden Nut Trophy. Children 8-17 years were able to enter for free, thanks to our generous sponsor, French Broad Place.
Come decked out in your Derby team’s apparel! Some teams are already selling T-shirts.
For more information call Heart of Brevard 828.884.3278
Don’t miss the excitement of the upcoming 2010 Squirrel Box Derby. Kids (8-11 years and 12-17 years) will race on Saturday, May 29th. Those 18 and over (including businesses) will race on Sunday, May 30th.
In order to continue to keep safety our #1 priority, here are some guidelines, as you begin designing your entry for May 2010:
* Braking System: must affect 2 of the 4 wheels that are on the ground. We recommend that you do not have two independent brake “pedals” for the primary system. The dominant hand/foot may cause the vehicle to start spinning. (You may have a back-up breaking system.).
* Steering System: must affect 2 of the 4 wheels that are on the ground. Try to design to prevent over-steering that can lead to flipping over.
* To Protect the Head and/or Prevent Falling Out: a DOT-approved helmet is MANDATORY. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND a roll bar/cage or designing the back of the kart so that it is higher than the driver’s head (in case the kart flips). We REQUIRE a safety belt/restraint.
* Towing Capacity: we are REQUIRING that you include towing hooks (eye screws) both at the back and front ends for towing up Jailhouse Hill.
Other Entry Requirements:
* Overall footprint dimensions cannot exceed 32 square feet.
* Wheel base needs to be wider than the height of the vehicle body.
* Total maximum weight (driver & vehicle): 250 lbs. (ages 8-11), 350 lbs. (ages 12 and above).
* Hand-built and must incorporate some form of bodywork.
Besides the mandatory DOT-approved helmet, we REQUIRE that drivers wear gloves, long-sleeved shirts/jackets, long pants, and closed-toe shoes. We encourage children and youth to wear elbow pads, as well. Major road burn can be avoided with proper clothing.
(Standard derby kit cars will need modification to meet our safety standards. We encourage you to create your own design).
Don’t forget those creative designs for the nuttiest or squirreliest categories!
NO ALTERATIONS/ADDITIONS/DELETIONS CAN BE MADE TO THE VEHICLE ONCE IT PASSES INSPECTION (EXCEPTIONS FOR SAFETY WILL HAVE TO BE CLEARED WITH THE EMERGENCY SAFETY DIRECTOR AND HEART OF BREVARD EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR).